Top 10 Free Things to Do in Los Angeles, CA
Here’s a list of the top ten free things to do in Los Angeles.
- Step into Hollywood history: The forecourt of TCL Chinese Theatre has been one of the most popular free attractions since the 1920s, when actress Norma Talmadge accidentally stepped in wet cement during the premiere of Cecil B. DeMille’s King of Kings. Movie fans from around the world compare their hands and feet to those of stars past and present.
- Walk the walk in Venice: Chainsaw jugglers, swamis on rollerblades, street dancers…the most amazing street entertainers in the world are at Venice Beach. Get the local’s perspective on Venice.
- Free activities here and free activities there! Wherever you look, L.A.’s got your budget covered. Free attractions in Los Angeles offer a chance to see the city without breaking the bank.Watch TV live: Be a part of a studio audience for your favorite television shows and game shows like Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. Tickets are free, but must be obtained in advance. Get on a game show.
- Hike near the Hollywood sign: Feeling uninspired? Try changing your perspective on a familiar sight. While the Hollywood sign’s grounds are barred from public access, some great nearby hikes allow for great angles for photos. From Franklin Avenue in Hollywood, go north on Beachwood Drive; turn left at Ledgewood Drive and twist and wind uphill. Then go right at the three-way intersection onto Deronda Drive.
- Discover fossil fun: At La Brea Tar Pits in Hancock Park, the site of the richest discovery of Ice Age fossils in the world, more than 100 tons of fossilized bones representing 200-plus species of mammals, birds, reptiles and fish have been unearthed from pools of sticky asphalt dating back to prehistoric time.
- Wander around Griffith Park: With more than 4,210 acres of both natural chaparral-covered terrain and landscaped parkland and picnic areas, Griffith Park is the largest municipal park with urban wilderness area in the country, and provides a mix of free activities for the whole family. Picnic on one of the broad lawns or hike one of the park’s many free trails.
- Discover L.A.’s wilderness: Los Angeles possesses a wealth of natural wilderness, which attracts avid hikers and bikers to such sites as Topanga State Park, Malibu Creek State Park and the Angeles National Forest. Find the best hiking trails.
- Go surfing: Whether you’re getting on a board for the first time or you’re a seasoned rider searching for L.A.’s best breaks, there’s something for everyone. Find the best waves.
- Grand Performances at California Plaza: Grand Performances presents an array of free performing arts events on weekend nights — music, dance and theater — that are as multicultural as their audience, giving rising stars a chance to shine.
- Twilight Concerts at the Santa Monica Pier: This popular concert series is constantly reinventing itself, but count on a diverse line-up of talent including reggae, rock, indie pop, R&B and even a little 80s. The 2015 summer season starts on July 9.
In Los Angeles, summer means that free outdoor concerts are in full force, beckoning visitors to get outside and enjoy L.A.’s thriving music scene. From blowout shows to Sunday afternoons in the park, the following free events in Los Angeles will keep you tapping your feet. So get out there, enjoy the weather and tune into the music.
This Top 10 list is produced with permission from Discover Los Angeles .
The full parent version of this article is called “100 Free Things to Do in Los Angeles: Special Free Admission Days” and is available on the Discover Los Angeles website.